A lodge is an organization of a group of people among the Trenith who come together for a common purpose or profession, not unlike a medieval guild but differing from one in that members of a lodge are likely to have a more diverse set of skills. A person may be a member of more than one lodge, but it’s hard to imagine someone making significant contributions to more than two or three. The following is a small list of the lodges that exist among the Trenith; it is not intended to be exhaustive.
- The Coautl Lodge: Members of the Coautl Lodge devote themselves to herbalism and healing. There are members in every village, but their base is in Trenavan, in a hospital built around an ancient structure known as the Sanctum. Elders of the Coautl Lodge, and the direly ill under their care, are the only ones permitted to enter the Sanctum.
- The Fisher Lodge: Members of the Fisher Lodge care for the boat-turtles, manufacture and repair the feluccas, and provide trade and transport up and down the river.
- The White Tooth Lodge: Members of the White Tooth Lodge, unlike most members of the Trenith, spend the bulk of their time away from the Trena Valley. They sometimes trade and perform diplomacy with other villages, but their primary purpose is the recovery of ancient tech from the many ruins which dot the landscape. Their base is in Rigalo, built around another structure of similar architecture to the Sanctum and which only full members of the White Tooth Lodge may enter.
- The Tinker’s Lodge: In close relationship with the White Tooth Lodge is the Tinker’s Lodge, who devote their time to understanding, repairing, and finding uses for the tech brought back by the White Tooth. They are also based in Rigalo.
- The Blood Lodge: Every member of the Trenith who menstruates is a member of the Blood Lodge. There is a small building also called the Blood Lodge in every village, and any Blood Lodge member, if they choose, may exempt themselves from their duty and instead spend their time in rest and meditation while menstruating. Each Lodge has one or two people (usually alumni of the Lodge) who spends their days there caring for those for whom their time in the Blood Lodge is a hardship.